From Test Kitchen Tuesday Chuck has made these a couple of times. They aren’t a very good brownie, but they are a good dessert. Medjool dates are important. Deglets aren’t as moist and are more rigid.
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup almonds, whole
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil (does not need to be melted)
- 3/4 cup pitted Medjool Dates, about 9 (we buy these at CostCo)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (or chocolate powder of your choice)
- Dash of salt (optional)
- Add walnuts, almonds, and coconut oil to your Ninja Blender or food processor jar
- Pulse a couple times to combine, and then blend on “2” for about 30 seconds until you have a fine meal (do not take to nut butter)
- Add dates, cocoa powder, and salt, pulse 2-3 times to combine, and then blend on “2” for 30-60 seconds, until fully combined
- The mixture will be fine “beads” that are easily pressed together
- Pour mixture onto a piece of foil or parchment in a cookie sheet or other cake pan, and gently press together with your hands.
- I found it easiest to pour onto a piece of foil, shape into a square, then fold the foil completely over the square, and then press the mixture together to form a solid block
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours, or freeze 30 minutes before serving
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to a month