Modified from a recipe from Manjulas Kitchen
- 1-1½ lbs potatoes, diced
- ¼ c. oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 finely chopped green chili (adjust to taste)
- salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ bunch chopped cilantro
- Boil the potatoes until they are soft and let cool a little.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium.
- Add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Seeds will pop all over the kitchen if the oil is too hot, but they do need heat to release the right flavors.
- Add turmeric, potatoes, green chili, and salt.
- Stir-fry briefly.
- Add lemon juice and cilantro.
- The potatoes should be slightly moist and not very dry.
- Serve hot.
Binita suggested using this to stuff poblanos and we liked it when we tried it. Chuck prefers the pepper halved and filled like a twice baked potato rather then tamping it in from the top.